Monday, September 17, 2007

Ruttle's Reviews: The Archives

Jet boats, in-laws and bald-headed killer bears

"The Great Outdoors" (1988)
Directed by: Howard Deutch (Pretty in Pink, The Replacements)
Starring: John Candy, Dan Akroyd
Running time: 91 minutes
Rut's Rating: 4/5

With the weather finally cooperating and holiday plans being made, I thought I would reach into the vault this week, and review a movie that my friends and I believe to be required viewing every summer.
"The Great Outdoors" is an easy-to-like story of a family's trip to the scenic views of a lakeside cabin. In one of his funniest roles, legendary funny-man John Candy is Chet Ripley, a suburban guy who just wants a nice, relaxing vacation with his family. Ruining that dream is wealthy loudmouth Roman Craig, Chet's brother-in-law, played by Dan Akroyd. Roman brings his family; wife Kate, played by Annette Bening in her feature film debut, and twin daughters Cara and Mara. What follows is anything but some trusty R&R, as Chet accidentally gets dragged across the lake on water skis, gets two black bears roaming on top of his vehicle, and is pushed into eating a HUGE steak, dubbed "The Old 96'er."
This movie is just simple, family fun. The thing I love about it is that the comedy in it appeals to all ages; I myself have been watching this movie since I was 7 or 8 years old, and I still find it funny today. John Candy is at his best here, and you're only reminded how sad it is that this Canadian comedy icon is no longer with us. Dan Akroyd is a perfect fit for Roman Craig; he's obnoxious, annoying, and he probably knows it.
However, the film isn't without it's faults; I could have done without the teenage-love storyline involving Chet's oldest son Buck and a local girl named Cammie. And there's actually a big goof you can easily notice that takes place inside the cabin. After the family return from the restaurant and Chet has just ate a 96-ounce steak, he gets sick and vomits in the bathroom. The rest of the family follows him, and the camera slowly pans to the right as they tend to Chet. What we're not supposed to see is Dan Akroyd giving a cue to the rest of the actors to run outside after seeing how sick Chet gets. It's a mistake, but a big one, and I don't know why the filmmakers didn't do one more take to get it right.
Nevertheless, this movie is an enjoyable classic, and it even makes you want to pack everything up and head to a cabin near you. Looking back on my own cabin excursions, I fondly remember going to Candle Lake every summer with my own family when I was a kid, and I enjoyed going to Pratt Lake last summer with my best friends, Chris and Kyle. I guess the only "Great Outdoors"-type memory we all took back with us was when Chris and I plowed a golf cart into the ground, scraping my right arm up pretty good, and later that afternoon, the golf cart died on us. After much deliberation and mistrials, we were finally able to get it back to the cabin. But enough about my own moments of idiocy - that's a subject for another time and another rant.
If you're looking for some light entertainment that's funny and enjoyable, then I'm sure that you'll love this film. In a time now where summer movies are computer-driven, long-winded schlock-busters that cost $150 million or more, a short, sweet and funny movie like "The Great Outdoors" is as relaxing as being in, well, the great outdoors.

No comments: