Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gangster Flick Lights up the Screen

"American Gangster" (2007)
Directed by: Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator)
Starring: Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Josh Brolin, Cuba Gooding Jr.
Running Time: 157 minutes
Rut's Rating: 5/5

Crowe. Washington. Scott. Crime premise. That was all I needed to know. I first saw a preview for "American Gangster" back in August, at the good ole Galaxy Cinemas in Saskatoon. Right away, I knew this was a film that I needed to see, and that I was likely to love it. As it usually turns out, which is about 98% of the time, I was right. I eagerly watched and fell in love with it. It was everything that I thought it would be, and more. I know I must sound really gushy right now, but there's just something about finally seeing a film after months of anticipation that erupts excitement out of me. Its happened many times before, with movies like "Freddy vs Jason", "Walk The Line" and "The Departed". I'd follow the movie for months, whether it was in the middle of shooting, post-production, whatever stage it was at. I'd look forward to it more and more until it was finally released, and I've never been disappointed. (I'm currently pumped for "I Am Legend", starring Will Smith and being released December 14)

"American Gangster" is the true story of Frank Lucas, a Mob driver who takes reign of the criminal operations in Manhattan when his boss dies, and is played deviously wonderful by Denzel Washington. Lucas thrives on the role of Mob Boss, he loves having the power that comes with the position. He begins a drug trafficking business that sees a better product hitting the streets but at a lower price, building Lucas an empire that soon sees him able to buy his own mother a mansion in the hills. Frank is cold, calculating and ruthless, but another side of him shows his integrity and pride he has for his family. He mirrors this somewhat split personality throughout the course of the film. He can relax with family on a Sunday afternoon, and at the same time *SPOILER* douse a man in gasoline and light him on fire before emptying several bullets into him, as evidenced in the very first moments of the film. Washington is an acting marvel here; its very interesting and enjoyable seeing his portrayal of morally-corrupt men of authority, such as in his Oscar-winning role in "Training Day". He doesn't just portray Frank Lucas, he becomes him, in a role that I wouldn't be surprised to see receive another Best Actor Oscar nod for Denzel.

Meanwhile, Lucas' operation is being studied and trailed by Richie Roberts, a New York cop who becomes an outcast with his fellow officers for not taking a bag full of unmarked cash for himself. He comes to believe that someone is climbing the ladder of organized crime, even above the Mafia families, and that a black power player has risen to the top of the drug underworld. Fellow Oscar winner Russell Crowe plays Roberts, and does so with maticulous authenticity. I've read that Crowe requested the use of audio tapes of the real Richie Roberts, in order to perfect his voice tone. I'm not sure what the real Roberts sounded like, but Crowe does a brilliant job. Even his body language told me, "This guy is a cop". Just by the way he walks and carries himself, he's a man of authority, even if he's surrounded by corruption and crooked police officers. Russell Crowe has really been impressing me lately, but his penchant for great method acting dates back to 1999, in Michael Mann's "The Insider".

The film is brilliantly directed by Ridley Scott, who knows his action and drama extensively. It's also shot wonderfully: 1970's New York never looked so authentic in its drab, everything-jammed-together atmosphere and environment.

"American Gangster" is an epic. With its ending credits hitting the screen at exactly the 2 1/2 hour mark, some may say it could've had maybe 15 minutes or so shaved off in editing, but I sincerely believe that it didn't need one cut or edit in its finished state. And the 2 1/2 hours flew by for me. Maybe that's because I was looking forward to it so much. That might be the case, but I was just so incased into the story, I never looked at my watch or anything like that. The mirroring image of Lucas running his drug empire while Roberts continued his investigation was enough to keep me from even think of getting bored. That is how good this film really is. If you're looking for an incredible story and great performances, then look no further. But if it's just a bang-bang, shoot-em-up flick you want, I can point you to the nearest Blockbuster. In all honesty, there really isn't that much shooting and killing in the film, but when it does occur, it grips you and sometimes comes out of nowhere.

This is, to put it bluntly, just one of the best movies that I've seen in awhile. The year 2007 has been fairly scarce as far as incredible, story-driven films go, but there has been a handful, albeit a small one. "American Gangster" is definitely one of those. I'm a huge fan of crime films (Scarface and The Departed, most notably) and this one now joins the list. I strongly urge you to see this in theaters, as I don't believe renting it can give you the whole experience, unless you have a $5000 home theatre package with a 60" TV and 12 speakers with surround sound. Nevertheless, seeing it in a packed house at a theater is a great experience, because you don't have any stupid kids talking or texting on their cell phones. Man, I hate it when theater owners let those kind of kids in, especially when its an R-rated film and these kids are 13 years old, at the most.

For a movie that almost never happened, "American Gangster" has turned out to be one of the best in years; see it for yourself and I'm sure you'll agree.

Keep em laughin',
Derek

No comments: