Friday, February 29, 2008

File Under Fiction: "Land Of No Law"

When I was a kid, I loved reading those "Choose Your Own Adventure" books. I collected them like crazy. Choices like, 'If you want to follow your friends into the cave, turn to page 45. If you want to stay back and await their return, flip to page 31'. I loved that. I loved the format. You never knew what was going to happen. So I was thinking about it one night, and decided that something like this would make for a cool, interactive feature in my blog. I hope you will too.

Each story will be told over a period of three weeks. After each installment, I strongly encourage readers to email yours truly and give me your thoughts, opinions, and general comments on where the second and third parts of the story should go. My hope is that you'll enjoy the cliffhanger I leave you on enough to come up with some different scenarios that the characters might find themselves in, or ones to get themselves out of!

Reach me through email at druttle@theoutlook.ca. You can also check out our website at www.theoutlook.ca.

Thanks for reading! And now, I give you...

Land Of No Law

Jack Owens shoved his thumb in his mouth and dropped his hammer, no doubt to block the curse words that would've easily flown out. He had taken his eye off the nail for a split second and brought the heavy hammer down on his own flesh so hard, it was numb.

This was the second time in a month that the fence keeping the cattle in was purposely broken, and Jack knew just who it was.

"Johnson...." he muttered under his breath.

William Johnson was the bank manager in town, and was a man who didn't reason with anyone. Jack had originally thought he was square with the bank, having made several payments on his land, but Johnson just couldn't be swayed to give a guy a break. Granted, Jack still owed him about $150 out of an original $500 loan, but they had mapped out a payment plan that, until recently, Johnson had honoured. But that time was over.

Jack finished up his work on the fence and gathered his tools. Slapping dust off his legs, he wiped his brow under his hat and headed into the house. His wife Alice looked at him almost sternly, and all he could do was shrug.

"You told me that you paid him," she said.

"I did. Last month I handed him 35 dollars. I suppose that just wasn't enough," said Jack.

"When is it going to be enough?" Alice asked. "For God's sake, Jack, we've got two kids to feed! Henry is gonna be almost 12 years old soon, and Emma just turned seven!"

Jack looked at her and could tell she was getting upset. He wrapped his arms around her and tried consoling her, but what could he really do? He couldn't make the rain come and force his crops to grow, along with the vegetables that Alice and little Emma enjoyed planting. They were in debt, but were still able to feed their kids, put clothes on their backs, and get them to school every day. It just seemed that they were only able to scrape by, and just when they thought they could get their heads above water, they would sink under.

Jack washed up and grabbed his hat again, heading out the door. Just as he was saddling up, Henry spotted him and ran up to him.

"Where you headed, Pa?" he asked.

"Just into town for awhile; I got some folks I gotta talk to," replied Jack.

"Can I come too?" asked Henry.

"No, you better stay here with your mother and Emma. Keep 'em company and give Ma a hand around the house, OK?" said Jack.

With that, Jack rode into town, tipping his hat and nodding to people he saw along the way, including the blacksmith, general store owner, barber, butcher, and the school teacher. Finally, he stopped at the bank and walked inside, looking for William Johnson. When he saw him sitting at a desk, feet propped up and counting money, Owens was furious.

"Johnson!" he yelled, marching straight to the desk. "We had a payment plan! I gave you 35 dollars last month and was fixing to hand you another 20 by the end of next week!"

Johnson sat up straight and put the money away.

"Jack, I know you're fuming and looking to take a swing at me for what my boys did to your fence, but I had to get your attention one way or another!" he said. "Now, I recently had a meeting with several other bank managers from around the countryside. We were told that a railroad is being built, and to collect any outstanding debts from farmers and cattle ranchers, because the construction foremen aren't gonna settle your debts for you!"

"So what does all that mean for my family?" Jack asked.

"It means that once you're square with me, the railroad builders are gonna try and buy you out. They'll take a look at what you got, money and collateral-wise, I mean, and make an offer," said Johnson.

"So how long do I have?" Jack inquired.

"Two weeks." said Johnson.

Jack let the information sink in before trying to come up with a plan. He still owed over 100 dollars to Johnson, and on top of that, now had to get a good crop going in two weeks, as well as buying more cattle. He left the bank and walked across the street to the saloon, sitting at the bar and nursing a drink. He had no idea what he was going to do, but he needed to feed his family and take care of them, one way or another.

Just then, Johnson walked into the saloon, with another fellow behind him. Frantic and in somewhat of a panic, the man was clearly trying to get the attention of Johnson.

"But Mr. Johnson, that box needs to get to Plainview! There's a lot at stake here!" he said.

"I know that, Billy! But our courier just backed out of the job and no one else in town will do it! Too much complaining over the long travel," Johnson replied.

Jack couldn't help but hear the conversation. He stood up and walked over to the two, standing behind Johnson.

"So what's in this box?" he asked, surprising Johnson and Billy.

"That's really none of your business, Jack! The point is that there's a box that needs to be transferred from here to Plainview, and..." Johnson trailed off. "Wait a second - why don't you deliver it, Jack?"

Jack's interest was peaked, but he was suspicious.

"I appreciate the offer, but if I gotta pay you back and get a crop going within two weeks, I better just stay put," Jack said.

"Jack, please, there's no one else! My job depends on this and I'm sure there's a way we can make this work on both our ends," Johnson pleaded.

Jack thought it over in his head. Was he really going to leave his family and deliver a wooden box all the way to Plainview, filled with God-knows-what? But then again, this worked to his advantage, seeing as how Johnson was now the one with his back against the wall.

"Alright, William. If I'm gonna go through with this, there's gonna be some conditions," Jack declared. "First, I want my debt wiped clean. Second, I want three of my good friends to come with me. And third, I want you to hand my wife $200 not five minutes after we've left. You hear?"

Johnson wiped his brow.

"Alright, Jack. I think that's fair. So you're gonna do it?" he said.

"Yeah, I'll do it," said Jack.

To Be Continued...

Who, or what, will Jack and his friends run into along the way? What's in the mysterious box? Are they headed for trouble? I'll let you decide, faithful reader...

No comments: