Friday, March 7, 2008

WrestleMania Looking Better Every Week

As every week falls off the calendar in March, we're just that much closer to WrestleMania 24. I'm starting to get excited, and can feel the anticipation in the air. But this is nothing compared to the feeling I'll have when watching those final episodes of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night Smackdown, when all the high profile feuds will be at an all-time peak and mayhem is sure to ensue.

Right now, the number of matches that we'll see has been bumped up to 8, which is a good, round number. Manias 21 and 23 had that same amount and they were satisfying shows. Though I can see one or even two more being added. Here's the current card:

1. World Heavyweight Title match, Edge (C) vs. The Undertaker
2. WWE Championship match, Triple Threat rules, Randy Orton (C) vs. Triple H vs. John Cena
3. Career Threatening match, Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels
4. Money In The Bank Ladder match, Jeff Hardy vs. Ken Kennedy vs. Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. 3 more participants to be decided
5. Special Attraction match, The Big Show vs. Floyd "Money" Mayweather
6. Playboy Bunnymania, Candice Michelle & Maria vs. Beth Phoenix & Melina
7. Raw vs Smackdown match, Umaga (Raw) vs. Batista (Smackdown)
8. Finlay vs. JBL

That eighth match came as a result of the ongoing Vince McMahon/Finlay feud over Hornswoggle. As it turns out, the little leprechaun isn't McMahon's son after all, and is actually Finlay's. JBL put the boots to the little guy in a steel cage match two weeks ago on Raw and Finlay was livid. So now these two will collide, and I'm actually looking forward to it. Sometimes my love of a great display of technical wrestling takes a backseat when I want to see two guys just beat the holy Hell out of each other, and this is one of those times.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was one or two more matches added, and I can definitely see those as being:

1. U.S. Title match, MVP (C) vs. Matt Hardy
2. ECW Title match, Chavo Guerrero (C) vs. CM Punk

I'd really like to see these matches, especially the MVP/Hardy battle. Those two had a great feud going last summer and into the fall, but Hardy ended up having a health-related emergency and has been on the shelf since. I've read house show reports that said he's returned to the road, so there you go. Let's finally see these two go at it for the title. Make it happen, WWE. As for the ECW Title match, I just think that belt needs PPV exposure. The whole "reinvention" of ECW has really missed the mark and I don't watch it, though I do keep track of what's going on. All I'm saying is that if the WWE wants ECW to be taken seriously and not looked at as the "farm league" of the WWE brands, then have the title defended at WrestleMania.

That'd bump the match number up to 10, which isn't so bad. As long as they cut down on the backstage segments and the prerequisite "Hey it's a celebrity, we better talk to them" routine, then the matches will have ample time to display a good performance. Obviously, some matches will be much longer than others, but that's just the nature of the beast.

In my view, WrestleMania 24 is really looking special. I think I'll enjoy it more than I did last year's, because I won't be so shocked to see a feature match go on before an undercard one. Its all about keeping the fans attention without going into overkill, and I understand that.

Here's what I mean by that...

Last year, there were 8 matches at WrestleMania 23. One of the main events, and the one I was most excited about, was Batista defending the World Heavyweight Title against The Undertaker. In my opinion, it should have been the match that goes on last; this was a battle that millions were anticipating, and beyond that, it was something NEVER SEEN before, which is what WrestleMania is really all about. So you can imagine my shock and anger when it was revealed as only the FOURTH match of the night! Smack dab in the middle! I was outraged and held onto my Irish stubborness that it should've been the last match of WrestleMania. It was a great match that the 80,000+ in attendance loved, and the Dead Man won the World Title, kicking his Mania winning streak to 15-0. Instead, John Cena retaining his WWE Title against Shawn Michaels was the main event, in a match that Shawn carried and the audience booed when Cena won. The main event of WrestleMania should never end with WWE's top babyface being booed, but he was. Just like he was at WrestleMania 22.

However, I'm used to it now. The match order at the last few Manias has never made any sense to me, because I judge a match and its feuding wrestlers on how much momentum and exposure they've received, as well as how the audiences react to it. Obviously, you'd want the hottest and most anticipated match to end the show, right? Well, I guess not in WWE's view.

Again, I don't agree with it but I'm used to it now. In my opinion, Edge and The Undertaker's match for the World Heavyweight Title should go on last. It would keep the fans guessing as to whether or not Edge might just be able to give the Phenom his first loss at WrestleMania. And if not, then at least there'd be a new World Champion. Frankly, I don't have a favorite in this match, because these two are my absolute favorite wrestlers and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Anyway, that's my Mania rant for this week. Looking forward to Monday's Raw, because its 3 hours this week and all the brands are coming together for WrestleMania Rewind, where we'll be witness to rematches of classic Mania battles. Should be a gooder!

As for this weekend, I'm finally seeing "Juno" tonight, and I'm dying to see what virtually everyone is talking about when it comes to this film. I then plan on renting "Into The Wild", the Sean Penn-directed drama about a man who chooses to live in the wilderness. If there's time, I might try and sneak in "American Gangster", since I bought the incredible 3-disc Collector's Edition last week in the city.

Keep it real, homies! (Man, I am white...)

Keep 'em laughin',
Derek

No comments: