Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Greatest Show On Earth...Is HERE!!!

It's here. It's finally here. WrestleMania Weekend! The stage is being set, the superstars are in Orlando, and fans anxiously await the biggest show of the year. This year's Mania has the chance to be one of the best, in my opinion. There's a greater emphasis on wrestling and I think a lot of fans will go home happy.

With that, its time to make my predictions for the big show (pun intended)...

I make my WrestleMania predictions the night before every year's broadcast, when all the final TV shows have aired and you can really sit back and think about who has the most momentum, who looks like the underdog and who is likely to be walking out of the big show (pun very much intended) as winners and losers.

And if my predictions are correct, we're in for one Hell of a show tomorrow night....

1. 24-Man Battle Royal, Winner faces ECW Champion Chavo Guerrero: I think this will be entertaining, and I'm glad to see an over-the-top-rope spectacle return to the biggest show of the year. Makes me think of WrestleMania 2 when Andre won. I could see a couple swerves happen with this one. I read in an autograph session report that fans were told Hardcore Holly was injured, so that opens up a spot. Whether or not he actually IS hurt is beside the point. If there is a vacant spot, maybe Matt Hardy will return and take it, even though he fits best in the Money In The Bank Ladder match. Hell, maybe even Rob Van Dam will return and win it. If the WWE has an opportunity to please fans with a surprising return, they better take it. As for a winner? Well, if Hardy or Van Dam don't return and win it, then I think I'm gonna go with Kane. His character has been really stale for the longest time and he deserves the Mania exposure. WINNER: Kane

2. ECW Title match, Chavo Guerrero (C) vs. Kane: If Kane wins, then I'm not too sure if he'll be pushed further into winning the ECW Title. But I don't see Chavo winning cleanly, or even at all. OK, I'll call a messy finish. WINNER: Kane by DQ or count-out, Chavo retains

3. Money In The Bank Ladder match, Chris Jericho vs. Carlito vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison vs. Ken Kennedy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. MVP: This one is hard to call. I could see a surprise return in this one too. Seven is a mismatched number for this match, and we all know its only that much because Jeff Hardy was suspended. Maybe brother Matt or RVD once again will return in THIS match. But if it really comes down to these 7, then I'm leaning towards either Jericho or MVP to take it. I think it'll be close and I'm sure we're gonna be witness to some major crash-and-burn moments, but I'm gonna go with Y2J. His return went flat after Armageddon and he hasn't had much momentum until recently winning the IC Title from Hardy. WINNER: Chris Jericho

4. The Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather: It may be getting the most promotion, but its the one I care the least about. Yes, I even care more about the Playboy BS more than this publicity stunt. At least with that we're looking at hot chicks. This is gonna be a meticulously choreographed farce, but its done its job of promoting the hell out of WrestleMania, which is what Vince always wanted anyway. Floyd is gonna be protected like Show's life depends on it, so its not gonna be very long. And as for this supposed "swerve" we're gonna see? No idea what its gonna be, but Mayweather's winning this one. He wouldn't have signed up for it if he wasn't guaranteed the win. WINNER: Floyd Mayweather

5. Belfast Brawl, Finlay vs. JBL: Won't be a match-of-the-year candidate by any means, but it'll be brutal and hard-hitting. I'm glad the whole Hornswoggle angle didn't lead to Vince himself fighting at Mania. Going with a singles match between these two was a better idea. No doubt Vince is gonna interfere, and probably little Horny himself. And is it just me, but does anyone see a heel turn by the little guy, causing Finlay to lose? I dunno, I just see something happening with this one that most wouldn't expect. Either that or it'll be all sunshine and Lucky Charms for the two Irishmen. WINNER: Finlay

6. BunnyMania tag team match, Maria/Ashley vs. Melina/Beth Phoenix: Mostly see this one being about comedy, with Snoop Dogg and Santino probably getting into some sort of scuffle. Your average women's match, and I see Melina/Phoenix winning, most likely setting up a Title program with Maria and Beth. WINNERS: Melina & Beth Phoenix

7. Smackdown vs. RAW, Batista (S) vs. Umaga (R): I've personally wanted to see these two go at it for a long time, and WrestleMania is the perfect stage for it to happen. It'll be physical, that's for sure. Probably a good back-and-forth match with a lot of power moves, and I see Batista taking the win. Though if they wanna keep Umaga's character in good standing, it should take 2-3 Batista Bombs to put him away. That or a spinebuster off the top rope or something. WINNER: Batista

8. Career Threatening match, Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels: Really looking forward to this. Flair has his detractors, but if there's anyone that can make him look as good as he was 15-20 years ago, its Shawn Michaels. The guy can make a match with a dildo look good. Hell, he made Hogan look half-ass entertaining, and Flair is/was 10 times the wrestler he ever was. It's definitely gonna be a great story in the ring. It'll be all about respect at first, then a few counter moves, then the emotions will run high and it'll be on. I hope this gets the time it deserves, because I'd like to see it go about 25 minutes, if not 30. I went back and watched the match they had at Bad Blood 2003, and was pleased. Anybody else remember the match Michaels had with him when he was still a Rocker? Didn't think that was so bad, either. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this went on last. As for a winner, about 99% of the earth thinks Flair is going down. I'm not entirely convinced, but then again one has to think about the forced retirement angle. If I gotta choose, then....WINNER: Shawn Michaels

9. WWE Championship match, Triple Threat rules, Randy Orton (C) vs. Triple H vs. John Cena: This is likely the one to go on last, since Vince is obsessed with keeping Raw in the limelight. Doesn't matter that Edge and Taker's feud dates back to last May, its all about Raw. Smackdown hasn't main-evented Mania since 2003, but NOPE! Doesn't matter! But I digress. Despite the presence of John Cena, I'm looking forward to this a lot. We're definitely gonna see all 3 finishers, maybe multiple times. Blood, a broken announce table, most definitely. I'm interested to see who the Orlando crowd cheers for. Everyone seems to think we're definitely in store for a Title change, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the crowd cheering for Orton as he'll be seen as the underdog nobody expects to win. Honestly? I wouldn't be shocked if Orton walked out still WWE Champion. In fact, I'd be supportive of it. Cena and HHH don't need the Title in the picture to have a good feud. But yet I also see HHH having a good chance at winning. He hasn't held a World Championship since Mania 21. And yes, I know he won the WWE Title at No Mercy, but I personally don't count it because he only had it for about an hour. I'm talking long-term, people. As for Cena? Lord, I hope he doesn't win, because he JUST DOESN'T DESERVE IT!!! I'm so sick of Vince shoving him down the throats of fans. He's NO STONE COLD, VINNIE MAC! So just stop it already! WINNER: Triple H

10. World Heavyweight Title match, Edge (C) vs. The Undertaker: The match I'm the most excited for. And good God, if they place this match in the 4th or 5th spot, I am just going to snap. They made that mistake with last year's Batista/Taker match, and it was the one many said saved the show. At least let it go on SECOND last. I'm really anticipating the story this one should tell. Two Mania streaks on the line between two of my all-time favorites. I see a lengthy feeling-out process and Edge is likely gonna stall for awhile. Hey, that's what being a heel is about, isn't it? Making the fans wait for a showdown? I hope the Edgeheads are kept out of this one because I just wanna see these two go at it without any interference. I also wanna see it go at least 20 minutes. As for a winner, I see another Title reign for the Deadman. As much as I love Edge, I just don't see him being the one to end Taker's winning streak at WrestleMania. Also, Taker's injury last May put a damper on the long-term reign that was in store for him, so I'm thinking this is to make up for that. Don't see the Edge/Taker program ending with this one, though. Probably a rematch or two at Backlash and Judgment Day. Either way, we're in for a hell of a match. WINNER: The Undertaker

No comments: