Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Short Week, Long Weekend

It's Wednesday afternoon and the crew and I are feverishly producing this week's issue. Its our annual Ag Week paper and its 28 pages. Of course, what happens when we're trying to compile a newspaper that's bigger than the average issue? It falls on a short work week. Friday is Good Friday, so tomorrow is doubling for Friday and today is doubling for tomorrow. But things are really falling into place and its gonna be a great issue.

Of course, you know what this certain holiday means if you're from around these parts. The Shrimp Feed. The decades-old, time-honoured tradition that takes place every Thursday night before Good Friday and the Easter long weekend. The Conquest Merchants throw the bash in order to give thanks to fans, well-wishers, and.........well......just to party. And its highly-anticipated every year. So if you're in the Conquest area and feel like some shrimp, steak and a cold one (or ten), stop in and have a good time. There's gonna be music from Rory Jones (#22 on the Merchants) and the non-stop, small-town hospitality you can only find in a place like Conquest. (Well, I guess you could throw some other towns in there, but you get where I'm going with this...)

Should be a good time. I'm told there's even a "skit" to go along with the award presentations. I'll be armed with my video camera to capture all the action, as well as any other shenanigans that some people may get into.

But that's tomorrow night. As for tonight, I'm headed to a wind energy showcase and development conference in Beechy. I'm sure it'll be a trip down memory lane, because I'll be taking the old route that my family used to take when we ran the mail from 2001-2004. Just hope I remember it. :P

So with that, I bid you good day. And if I don't post again before the long weekend takes effect, hope everyone has a gooder and enjoy all the extra sleep.

Keep 'em laughin',
- Derek

No comments: