Monday, December 15, 2008

Fanboy Fantasy Absolutely KILLER!


I just finished reading a graphic novel last night that I'd been meaning to finish for the last few months. This is odd, because it's a book that I'd been waiting for to hit shelves and was able to grab it at 8th Street Books & Comics in September - Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.

Like I said, it took me a long time to finally sit down and finish it. I guess life just got in the way, as well as my stubborn temperament. This was a book that I felt had to be enjoyed in the right atmosphere:

- Had to be read at night;
- Had to be read with complete silence; and
- Had to have my full, undivided attention.

So last night, I sat down and zipped through the last 50 pages or so. And I gotta tell ya, this book doesn't disappoint. It lives up to the legacy and credibility of each character's respective franchise, and cements a new future in possible sequels. A Nightmare on Elm Street's Freddy Krueger is just as evil and corny as ever, Friday the 13th's Jason Voorhees has never been more skull-crushing and unstoppable and Evil Dead's Ash Williams is still the blue-collar wise-ass we all love. The story keeps a solid balance between all three and borrows from each character's past on-screen adventures.

A little background info on this tale............

Freddy vs Jason vs Ash was originally issued as a 6-part comic series starting in October 2007. When the series wrapped this past spring, the entire adventure was compiled into one kick-ass looking graphic novel, which is really what I prefer. To be honest, I just don't get to the comic shops that often so I look like a moron trying to decipher what order the $3.00 paperbacks go in. For all I know, I could be buying Issues #5 and 9 of 12, then I'd be REALLY confused. Also, it's just not worth my time to buy ONE 32-page comic when I know I'll just be done in maybe a half-hour. I'd rather wait until a series is over and released as a WHOLE in graphic novel form, like some of the others I have. Anyway......

This war between three of horror's beloved icons was originally going to end up as a sequel to the smash hit 2003 movie, Freddy vs Jason. Jeff Katz, then an executive at New Line Cinema, wrote a treatment of the script that soon hit the Web and fans were hooked (myself included). Sadly, the film deal fell through for whatever reason and FvJvA was trapped in development limbo. In early 2007, Katz made the announcement that his treatment would see new life, this time in comic form. Later that year, the issues started hitting the stands and fans loved it. Talk of a sequel hit the Web just a few weeks ago.

I'm disappointed that FvJvA will never be a movie, but at least the idea still hit the mainstream public. Things could've turned out worse and this three-way fight to the death could still be in the minds of the writers, so I'm glad we at least have it in some form. And that's the amazing thing about comics and graphic novels - you can make anything happen to anyone. Freddy vs Jason vs Ash? Sure. Leatherface vs Michael Myers? OK. Batman vs Predator? Why not? (I've actually read that last one, not bad! Very out there, but not bad.) It gives new hope to aspiring writers, filmmakers and artists who get their ideas shot down by executives in designer suits, who say the idea isn't marketable or doesn't have mainstream appeal.

This story goes as such: After the events of Freddy vs Jason, Krueger is locked away in 'dream demon purgatory' while Voorhees is content in his surroundings at Crystal Lake. Meanwhile, Ash makes the move from Michigan up to Jason's turf to take a higher position at the new Super Duper S-Mart (inside joke to dedicated Ash fanatics), or so it would seem. Ash is really on the lookout for the Necronomicon, the Book of the Dead, and he believes it is hidden away in the old Voorhees home. Ash wants to get the book in order to destroy it once and for all, while Freddy uses what little power he has left to manipulate Jason once more, regain his strength and use the book's power to take control of not only the dream world, but reality as well. All of these elements make up a recipe for one of the coolest showdowns in (almost) cinematic history.

Indeed, this story was truly written for the fans. In a nod to the previous film, the main characters from Freddy vs Jason, Will and Lori make a return in the first few pages of this tale, only to **SPOILER ALERT** meet their fates at the hands of machete-swinging Jason. It's true horror movie cliche but it's only fitting.

The artwork on FvJvA is incredible. Everything from the Crystal Lake location to the guts spilling out of innocent victims looks bold and beautiful. It really stands out and you can tell this project was close to the artist's heart. You'd have to be a fan of these characters to give them justice in a comic form, and it shows on these pages.

I love the idea of this story taking place in the winter, too. That's never been done before with Freddy, Jason or Ash and it's really quite genius in how they pulled it off. In fact, the cold winter setting plays a large part in the final battle these guys engage in.

For my money, Freddy vs Jason vs Ash is one of the most well-written, excellently-drawn graphic novels I've seen in a long time. The concept is simple but very satisfying in the end.

My fingers are crossed that another series does in fact see the light of day. And judging by the final page in FvJvA, I'm sure they'll be back for more.

Keep 'em laughin',
D.

No comments: