Monday, December 1, 2008

Really? It's Been THIS Long???

Can't believe I haven't posted anything here since July. Now look at us, we're all preparing for the holiday season as Christmas is mere weeks away (it IS December 1st, after all).

Well, I won't abandon this blog completely. New editions of Ruttle's Reviews are on their way, that is if I can't get them published in our actual paper. People tell me all the time that they like reading them so why not give the readers what they want? So, just in time for its DVD release next Tuesday, I'm hoping my archived review of The Dark Knight will hit the pages of The Outlook. Undoubtedly my favorite review I've written, simply because TDK was my favorite film this year.

Speaking of that, this high-definition media market is really starting to annoy me. Seems every movie these days, new and old are getting the Blu-ray treatment. And conventional studio releases are forcing the consumer to open that wallet a little wider. Now when you choose to go Blu-ray, your DVDs come with extra bonus content and featurettes. WHAT GIVES?!!? Not that regular DVD sets don't come with a lot of cool features, but studios and companies are dangling that proverbial Twinkie in front of people with the promise of more. More behind-the-scenes footage, more cast and crew interviews, more production analysis, ARGH!!! And you know what the real kicker is? I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

Some day I hope to own a high-definition TV with some surround sound speakers. I'm already half-way to enjoying the "Blu-ray experience" as I own a Playstation 3, which costs an arm and a leg because it's a Blu-ray Player (thank you, tax refund cheque). Until that TV is hauled through my door though, I'm sticking with regular DVDs.

Though I'm still buying the Blu-ray Limited Edition set of Dark Knight.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Knight-Limited-Digital-Blu-ray/dp/B001J53X9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1228148395&sr=1-1

No comments: